Views on networking aside, I’m seeing a largely positive reaction to the Greatest Hits Radio playlist on UKRD stations - who’d have thought older listeners to local radio would rather hear Diana Ross or Stealers Wheel than Jax Jones or Nathan Dawe?!
Of course, the idea this audience doesn’t like anything older than 1999 is complete baloney, but for these stations there has been a noticeable shift away from those core eras towards playing more recent songs overall, which I think was a mistake, as some classics were moved to the decade spin-off stations.
You should never hear two unfamiliar currents back-to-back on an AC format - better to have the clock positions more varied so you keep coming back to those core songs that listeners love and expect, peppered with surprises.
The music has changed but on Mix, Spirit etc it’s like the same songs on a loop - GHR, however good or bad, do play a decent amount of variety but that will change shortly when the stations are more integrated to GHR.
I must admit, I haven’t really listened to any station in transition to Greatest Hits Radio but I know the next phase (imaging and features) is starting soon. Tight rotation of the most popular songs is standard ahead of a rebrand to give listeners the best possible flavour of what’s to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment