Little me dreamed of being a radio presenter all those years ago.
I always had, and still have, a strong desire to entertain and make people smile - something the best, like my heroes including the late Steve Wright and the uniquely talented Iain Lee, do so in a way that sounds effortless.
In more recent years, I have been more interested in helping others achieve their own radio dreams - for three reasons:
1. I actually get to talk about and focus on radio (unlike when I’m actually broadcasting on it myself)
2. Seeing other people happy, who deserve to be happy, makes me happy
3. I have had so many ups and downs, owing to mental health struggles over the years, and there are only so many times you can either open up to your listener or put on a fake smile (when I would want to make people smile and be authentic)
I had told a few people that I would be making a rare(ish) appearance covering a couple of radio shows later this week. Because I still relish the opportunity to be the listener’s helpful companion. But I am not prepared to put on a fake smile, and this is not the right time for me to do that.
Why am I sharing this? I am fortunate that any on-air role I might have currently is voluntary so I can make this decision without having to worry about not being able to put food on the table.
But my heart goes out to the many presenters, journalists, content creators, influencers, and others, broadcasting and publishing to people who have absolutely no idea what they are going through because of the convincing brave face they put on.
You might say it’s a privileged lifestyle, but we should never invalidate anyone’s experiences by comparing circumstances. Mental health is real for all of us, and being in the spotlight can be really hard. Let’s spare a thought for those who have found out just how true this is.
There is an alternative perspective though. I don’t mention this often, but throughout 2015/16, I chose to become an online mental health support volunteer working with people at their lowest.
I also chaired live broadcasts on the platform, including advisory Q&A sessions with a qualified psychologist for people seeking help.
The fact people are opening up and talking more than ever, which we owe this to all forms of media, is something to be celebrated and we musn’t go back on this progress now.
People are led by voices they know and trust. I think a healthy balance of both positivity and raw honesty in our influential media is very important.
I wanted to make this point clear after my previous one. However, personally, I am not in a position to make a sudden on-air return when I’m at my lowest. I don’t think that is in anyone’s best interests.
Thank you for your support and understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment