There was Wogan, there was Everett… and there was Wright.
We live in a very different world now, and whether we like it or not there is still and will always be new generations with their own talent, but I could use my fingers to count up every voice (of all those ever to bless the airwaves) comparable in any way to the true pioneering greats.
I’m talking about the few originals, not simply “jocks” but rather entertainers, who were early to understand and embrace the medium of radio as an art form and made an unmissable impact using nothing other than the power of audio and the spoken word. Those who first defined what a radio legend sounds like.
And that was Steve Wright.
When I cast my mind back fifteen years, I would be getting in the car after a long (and often stressful) day at school as an autistic child. I always struggled with eating at school and often became overwhelmed.
I would have two comfort blankets when I was finally allowed to escape at 3:15 - one of my parents, and Steve Wright on the radio.
Factoids. Jingles. Barry from Watford. 90 seconds of a song before he’d start singing along. Saying some words little me would understand, and some he wouldn’t, but that didn’t make the big show any less exciting. It was indeed “big” and made me realise what radio could be like.
It was a key reason I fell in love with the medium and gave me the best possible idea of the sort of thing I could only dream of doing one day.
Steve Wright In The Afternoon was an institution that made the worst days sound like the best. It was consistent. No matter where you were, what you were doing, how you were feeling, it was all at the touch of a button to lift your mood. Even at times of national sorrow or uncertainty, it was something you could rely on.
I’ve always said Steve was like the captain of a ship - and it seems fitting to imagine Noah’s Arc given he brought the “zoo format” to UK radio.
Every character was there, from Mr Angry to the Old Woman, together with his loyal audience enjoying the onboard entertainment. He would gently sail the posse through calm seas but sometimes find himself aggressively steering us all through choppy waters - and we always made it.
In the last week, we’re reminded of Steve’s daily early starts at Radio 2 prepping ahead of 2pm. He was a perfectionist. Some would argue “slick” isn’t important to the average listener, but he made achieving that sound so effortless. He cared about production values and knew just how much quality does matter.
It’s safe to say radio geeks care a lot more about jingles than the average person but, while it sounded slick to us lot, the actual relevant content sounded unique, interesting and at times silly to his millions of weekly listeners - and that was the beauty of his daily artwork. It wasn’t an anorak vanity project. It was among the greatest radio shows this country had and will ever see.
Steve Wright was, quite simply, the greatest of the great. Not everyone rated him, and that demonstrates his talent. If your personality cuts through with enough of an impact to make some people dislike what you do, but at the same time make so many other people love you, you’re doing it right.
It is no exaggeration to say that I grew up wanting to be Steve Wright. He had that impact on me. He was the best. And he will never come close to being replaced in the radio hall of fame.
R.I.P - the very best.
Shocked and devastated at the death of Steve Wright. My radio hero. I wanted to be him growing up. A master of this craft who lived, breathed and loved radio with all his heart. Loved the show Steve. RIP. 💔
— Harrison RB (@HarrisonRBRadio) February 13, 2024
No comments:
Post a Comment