First blog in more than three months - "why?" asked nobody... well, sod it, I'm telling you anyway...
As announced in June, I started a new job at a much longer established radio station than my previous one which, as it happens, is only 20 minutes down the A3!
My first few months at Express FM have been extremely busy, but in the best possible way.
It all began with a “summer social” at the end of my first week where I attempted to get to know as many of my new colleagues as possible - and I have really enjoyed continuing to do so ever since.
The immediate focus was our coverage of Victorious Festival - the biggest event in Express FM’s calendar - with a primary aim to reflect the local community and a secondary aim to bring our listeners closer to the stars visiting Portsmouth to perform.
Our live programming from the seafront site began at midday on Friday and, with the exception of Pompey's League One kick-off at Stevenage on the Saturday afternoon, continued throughout all three days of the festival with double-headed shows, each presented on a walkabout.
As a bonus, backstage interviews with Blossoms, McFly, Ricky Wilson, Kate Nash, Dylan and Gabriella Cilmi amongst others generated a real buzz and delivered record engagement on socials.
Express at Victorious 2023 was a rip-roaring success... even if it did begin with an amusing walkie-talkie exchange:
*is told to use a specific (reportedly spare) channel on the radios*
Me: “Jon, can you hear me mate?”
Person: ”Hi, who’s speaking?”
Me: *thinking out loud into the walkie-talkie* “Who’s that?”
Person: “…hi, can I ask who’s speaking please?”
Me: “oh sorry, yes it’s Harrison from (station) - I was told this is a spare channel; over.”
Person: “It is a spare channel but it’s also being used for transport so please just make sure to say who you are.”
Me: *totally out of character* “Roger.”
Jon: “Jon here from (station) - Harrison, I can hear you mate.”
Following on from a delightful and productive August bank holiday weekend, we announced a refreshed schedule for autumn 2023 - including the return of a few much-loved Express presenters.
This is only the beginning of an exciting future for Express FM, and for Portsmouth, as we strengthen our position as a trusted local brand and a nurturer of new talent.
As other broadcasters move further away with regional programming, Express FM is proud of its roots and our mission will only ever be to give local people a voice and provide informative, engaging and entertaining radio for the city we are proud to call home.
No comments:
Post a Comment