Why is Bauer preserving Pirate FM and Lincs FM as standalone stations - like Wave 105 - when other acquired brands with just as much heritage (e.g. Spire, Eagle, Yorkshire Coast) will disappear?
The company says it will only rebrand stations where it sees an opportunity to increase listeners by doing so and that retaining the likes of Hallam, Metro and Radio City is the best way to maximise their audiences.
For the Hits Radio Network, which produces a mixed bag of figures, it would clearly be risky to radically change key revenue drivers.
No decision will have been taken lightly but clearly cuts are necessary in these times. Bauer says the distinct cultures of Cornwall and Lincolnshire have led to its decision not to rebrand.
Pirate, Lincs and Wave, together with all Hits/GHR stations, are being sold as part of the Hits Radio Brand Network to agencies so they’re meeting increased demand for simplified national ad campaigns.
Initially, I thought Bauer would be more radical and, at least, align Wave 105 with one of the two networks and Nation’s Sam FM South Coast becomes the other brand leaving Fire Radio (and potentially The Breeze South) as KISS.
Again, Wave is a powerhouse regional and, especially considering the industry-wide revenue decline we’re facing, I can see how it’s too much of a gamble right now.
It’s worth noting that while heritage certainly adds value through familiarity, favourability and trust, it can also have negative perceptions such as being deemed uncool or old-fashioned by younger demographics and uninviting to former listeners who’ve gone elsewhere for whatever reason.
It can also maintain undeserving RAJAR reach. If I can’t recall the station I was listening to, I’ll select one that immediately springs to mind and, perhaps, whose brand I have affection for (because I grew up with it etc) - which always begs the question of whether or not a heritage station’s figures are an entirely valid assessment of its output.
People become attached to things that have been a constant during certain periods of their lives. Some rebrands perform better than others. Ultimately, nobody chooses based on a name alone, it’s what is made of it and whether the product delivers for them that matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment