Tuesday, 5 May 2020

There's a petition to bring back Alan Robson's Night Owls

I totally understand the strategic decision made last year to axe Alan Robson’s Night Owls on Metro Radio (and TFM) as commercial radio intensifies its battle for audiences and revenues with slick and targeted national brands.

However, at a time when we’re seeking familiarity and many are turning to their favourite presenters for company, it is a shame Alan can’t be by the side of his incredibly loyal listeners having done so for 36 years.

I think there's a case to bring back Night Owls on FM, which is more accessible than DAB and AM. It needs more than just one programme a week. Even if the show isn't "on brand" for the Hits Radio Network.

That would be nice but I can’t see it happening. Sunday-Thursday on Greatest Hits Radio North East would work; possibly Sun FM and/or community stations in the region supported by the Audio Content Fund?

Sunderland's Sun FM? No idea what GHR ratings have been like since Metro dropped the show. The petition won't make any difference.

Now County Durham’s Sun FM too! I don’t have the breakdowns but overall GHR‘s up 25% QoQ, down 55% YoY and Metro‘s remained fairly static QoQ, gone up 2% YoY - not fully representative of course and I’d be very surprised if both haven’t seen a change at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Swift boost for radio

If you were anywhere near a radio this morning, you’ll know it was Taylor Swift’s world and we were all just living in it. The billionaire s...