Saturday, 11 January 2020

Listeners will name your radio station for you

My Winchester Radio colleague Anna O'Brien shared this last night:

We've just watched latest Midsomer Murders. Starts in radio station 'Midsomer FM'. I should be disturbed by dead animals; bridal deaths by tightening corset and confetti gun. But no - BRANDING! I'm more perturbed all signs say 'Midsomer FM' but jingles are 'Radio Midsomer'!

I haven't watched an episode of Midsomer Murders in at least six years - and just from hearing about this branding nightmare I'm glad I haven't!

What's more, even the presenters refer to Midsomer FM despite imaging that says Radio Midsomer.

It seems murder isn't the only offence committed in that place and I wish it wouldn't overshadow this crime against broadcasting.

All jokes aside, it resembles the renaming of radio stations that goes on all the time with people missing out words (always "Hampshire Radio") or bolting "radio" onto the beginning or "FM" onto the end or replacing the former with the latter and vice versa.

Why does it still seem to happen to us more than other brands even in an age where radio has as much of a visual presence as any other?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Swift boost for radio

If you were anywhere near a radio this morning, you’ll know it was Taylor Swift’s world and we were all just living in it. The billionaire s...